Thursday, December 12, 2013

Thanksgiving x2

We were lucky enough to have two Thanksgiving's this year!  Claire and I are pretty used to being away from family on holidays, whether it be because of work, travel, or just living long distance.  We decided to stay on the Outer Banks over a month longer than we originally planned, to spend a big holiday with family.  

First, we had Thanksgiving at my sister Christina's house with my brother-in-law Johnny.  They are 2 years newly wed and this was their first family holiday celebration in their home!  My parents came over and our long time family friend Brandy Ange.  My sister isn't the biggest fan of boring old turkey so I roasted a duck!  With it we had Sweet Potato Gnocchi (made from scratch), asparagus, cranberry/orange/cherry gravy (made from scratch with the gizzards and roasted bones), and brussels sprouts with bacon and maple syrup.

Our second Thanksgiving was Friday night, with Claire's family, on Bay Drive.  A bunch of Claire's family came into town and we had a traditional Thanksgiving dinner at her Grandparent's old house.  Her Uncle Mike spent the whole day preparing a massive spread of the classics, while other relatives contributed side dishes and desserts.  It was a flawless example of the classics.


Claire's Thanksgiving morning drawing

extremely calm and surreal sunset at my sisters house


My sister has a website where she takes a photo a day of the sunset.  She takes some beautiful shots, mostly from this location.  It is interesting to see the daily change of scenery and weather. 




sweet potato gnocchi

my beloved gnocchi paddle!

i bought this wine for my sister when i was living in st. helena, ca.
she has held onto it for about 5 years of extra aging.  It was lush and deep.  We enjoyed this with our Duck.

claire sauteed the gnocchi in brown butter after i blanched and shocked them.

my mother and father waiting patiently to dig in

my sister

back yard on Bay Drive

the classic spread buffet style

i was instructed to carve the turkey. legs up!

i had to do a 2 story plate.  strategically placing things that would compliment each other.  Clean plate club.

No comments:

Post a Comment